Mark Roseman, Ph.D.
Mark A Roseman, Ph.D.
Name: Mark A Roseman, Ph.D.
Major: Cell Biology (combined chemistry and
Ph.D., June 1965 - Jan. 1971 Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan.
Major: Biochemistry; Minor: Chemistry.
Thesis title: "A Model System Analysis of the Mechanism of
2-keto-3-deoxy-6-phosphogluconic Acid Aldolase".
Undergraduate: University of Michigan, 1961-5
Married: 1965-present, to Jo Ellen Roseman; 2 sons, 4 grandchildren
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- June 1973 - June 1979 Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, University of Virginia. In the laboratory of Dr. T. E. Thompson, engaged in physical and organic chemical studies on artificial membranes.
- . Jan. 1971 - June 1973 N.I.H. Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry, Brandeis University. In the laboratory of Dr. W. P. Jencks. Studies on the interaction of urea and other denaturants with polar molecules in water.
- 1994-2008 Course Director, Medical Biochemistry, Uniformed Services University, Department of Biochemistry
- 2008- present. Co-course Director for biochemistry teaching in the integrated curriculum at Uniformed Services University
- May 15, 2015, Gold Medal in Columbia Triathalon Relay (Swim leg).
- Roseman, M. A. and Jencks, W. P., "Interaction of Urea and Other Polar Compounds in Water", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 97, 631-640 (1975).
- Roseman, M. A., Litman, B. J. and Thompson, T. E., "Transbilayer Exchange of Phosphatidylethanolamine for Phosphatidylcholine and Amidino- Phosphatidylethanolamine in Single Walled Bilayer Vesicles", Biochemistry 14, 4826-4830 (1975).
- Roseman, M. A., Holloway, P. W. Calabro, M. A. and Thompson, T. E., "The Exchange of Cytochrome b5 Between Phospholipid Vesicles", J. Biol. Chem. 252, 4842-4849 (1977).
- Roseman, M. A. and Thompson, T. E., "Mechanism of the Spontaneous Transfer of Phospholipids between Bilayers", Biochemistry 19, 439-444 (1980).
- Greenhut, Susan F. and Roseman, Mark A., "Cytochrome b5 Induced Flip- Flop of Phospholipids in Sonicated Vesicles", Biochemistry 24, 1252-1260 (1985)..
- Greenhut, Susan F. and Roseman, Mark A., "Distribution of Cytochrome b5 Between Sonicated Phospholipid Vesicles of Different Size", J. Biol. Chem. 260, 5883-5886 (1985).
- Roseman, M. A., "Hydrophilicity of Polar Amino Acid Side Chains is Markedly Reduced by Flanking Peptide Bonds", J. Mol. Biol. 200, 513-522 (1988)
- Roseman, M. A., "Hydrophobicity of the Peptide C-O---H-N Hydrogen Bonded Group", J. Mol. Biol. 201, 621-623 (1988)
- Grant, Jr., E., Beeler, T. J., Taylor, K. M. P., Gable, K., and Roseman, M. A., "Mechanism of Magainin 2a Induced Permeabilization of Phospholipid Vesicles," Biochemistry 31, 9912-9918 (1992).
- Taylor, K. M. P., and Roseman, M. A., "The Effect of Cholesterol, Fatty Acyl Chain Composition, and Bilayer Curvature on the Interaction of Cytochrome b5 with Liposomes of Phosphatidylcholines," Biochemistry 34, 3841-50 (1995).