Michael Arnold, MD
Michael J. Arnold, MD, Commander, Navy
Name: Michael J. Arnold, MD, Commander, Navy
Preoperative Evaluation; Primary Care in Significant Illness
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences - M.D., Navy Surgeon General's Award - 2006
Naval Hospital Jacksonville - Internship in Family Medicine - 2007
Naval Undersea Medicine Institute - Undersea Medical Officer Course, Honor Graduate - 2008
Naval Hospital Jacksonville - Residency in Family Medicine, Society for Teachers of Family Medicine and Resident Research Awards - 2012
Naval War College - Joint Professional Military Education Distance Learning - 2018
Dr. Arnold has qualifications in Submarine Warfare, Submarine Medical Officer, Surface Warfare Medical Department Officer, Diving Medical Officer and Navy SCUBA Diver. He is a credentialed medical acupuncturist. He has served as Department Head for Primary Care and Assistant Department Head for Emergency Medicine at US Naval Hospital Naples, Italy as well as Department Head of the Navy's largest Family Medicine clinic at Naval Hospital Jacksonville. As a member of the BUMED Navy Comprehensive Pain Management Program, he delivers training on pain management and safe opioid prescribing to hospitals throughout Navy Medicine.
Dr. Arnold is a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians and a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Arnold, M.J., Moody, A.M. (2018) Cochrane for clinicians: atypical antipsychotics for disruptive behavior disorders in children and youths. American Family Physician. 97(11), 715-716.
- Arnold, M. J., Moody, A.M. (2018) Common running injuries. American Family Physician. 97(11), 715-716.
- Arnold, M.J., Gruber, J (2018) Cochrane for clinicians: injected corticosteroids for plantar heel pain. American Family Physician. 97(3), 169-170.
- Arnold, M. J. (2017) Cochrane for clinicians: pregabalin for pain in fibromyalgia. American Family Physician. 96(5), 291-292.
- Arnold, M. J., McIntyre J. (2017) Cochrane for clinicians: acupuncture for migraine prevention. American Family Physician. 96(1), 23-24.
- Arnold, M. J. (2017) Cochrane for clinicians: physical fitness training for stroke patients. American Family Physician. 95(11), 701-702.
- Arnold, M. J., Beer J. (2016) Preoperative evaluation: a time-saving algorithm. Journal of Family Practice. 65(10): 702-710.
- Higgins, J.C., Arnold, M.J. (2013). When to worry about incidental renal and adrenal masses. Journal of Family Practice, 62(9), 476-483.
- Shah, A., Arnold, M.J. (2011). The clinical implications of a smoking ban on submarines. Military Medicine, 176(2), 222-227.