Nicole Dobson, MD
Nicole R. Dobson, MD, Lieutenant Colonel, Army
Name: Nicole R. Dobson, MD, Lieutenant Colonel, Army
Intermittent hypoxia and caffeine therapy in premature infants
White matter injury in premature infants
2000 – 2003 Residency, General Pediatrics, Walter Reed Army Medical Center and National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD
1996 – 2000 Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ; Class Valedictorian
1993 – 1996 Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Molecular Biology, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA; Highest Honors
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Research grant, Co-Investigator: Effect of caffeine on intermittent hypoxia in infants born preterm. American SIDS Institute, 2010-2016
- “A” Proficiency Designator for outstanding Army Medical Department (AMEDD) leadership, distinguished qualifications, and knowledge advancement in Army Neonatology, 2016
- Elected Member, Society for Pediatric Research, 2014
- Research grant, Principal Investigator: Effects of FGF2 in a neonatal mouse model of white matter damage. USUHS Office of Research, 2011-2014
- Ogden C. Bruton Award for best science paper, Uniformed Services Section of the American Academy of Pediatrics, 2012
- Medical Director, Trauma/Neurology Intensive Care Unit, Craig Joint Theater Hospital, 36th Area Support Medical Company, Forward deployed to Bagram AFB, Afghanistan, 2009
- Dobson NR, Rhein LM, Darnall RA, Corwin MJ, Heeren TC, Eichenwald E, James LP, McEntire BL, Hunt CE; Caffeine Study Group.. Caffeine decreases intermittent hypoxia in preterm infants nearing term-equivalent age. J Perinatol. 2017 Jul 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dobson NR, Patel RM. The Role of Caffeine in Noninvasive Respiratory Support. Clin Perinatol. 2016 Dec;43(4):773-782.
- Dobson NR, Liu X, Rhein LM, Darnall RA, Corwin MJ, McEntire BL, Ward RM, James LP, Sherwin CM, Heeren TC, et al. Salivary caffeine concentrations are comparable to plasma concentrations in preterm infants receiving extended caffeine therapy. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2016 Sep;82(3):754-61.
- Dobson NR, Thompson MW, Hunt CE. Avery's Neonatology: Pathophysiology and Management of the Newborn. 7th ed. MacDonald MG, Seshia MM, editors. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkens; 2015. Chapter 25, Control of Breathing: Maturation and Associated Clinical Disorders
- Dobson NR, Patel RM, Smith PB, Kuehn DR, Clark J, Vyas-Read S, Herring A, Laughon MM, Carlton D, Hunt CE. Trends in caffeine use and association between clinical outcomes and timing of therapy in very low birth weight infants. J Pediatr. 2014 May;164(5):992-998.
- Rhein LM, Dobson NR, Darnall RA, Corwin MJ, Heeren TC, Poets CF, McEntire BL, Hunt CE; Caffeine Pilot Study Group.. Effects of caffeine on intermittent hypoxia in infants born prematurely: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Mar;168(3):250-7.
- Dobson NR, Hunt CE. Caffeine Use in Neonates: Indications, Pharmacokinetics, Clinical Effects, Outcomes. NeoReviews. 2013; 14:e540-550.