Nicole Hurst, MPH, MD
Nicole Hurst, MPH, MD, Commander, Navy
Name: Nicole Hurst, MPH, MD, Commander, Navy
2011-2012 Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship Denver Health Medical Center
2006-2009 Emergency Medicine Residency Naval Medical Center San Diego
San Diego, CA
2002-2003 Transitional Internship Naval Medical Center San Diego
San Diego, CA
1998-2002 Doctor of Medicine Northwestern University
1998-2002 Master of Public Health Northwestern University
1994-1998 Bachelor of Arts (Cum Laude) Northwestern University
After finishing a Transitional Internship at Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD) in 2003, CDR Hurst worked as a General Medical Officer in the Emergency Department before starting flight school in Pensacola, FL. She earned her wings of gold and completed a 2-year flight surgery tour at Naval Support Activity Souda Bay, Crete, Greece.
From 2006-2009, CDR Hurst returned to NMCSD to complete her residency in Emergency Medicine. She served as Academic Chief Resident in her final year of training. Following a short period serving as core academic staff physician at NMCSD, she deployed with 1st Medical Battalion to Helmand Provence, Afghanistan in 2010 and worked as an Emergency Physician with a Shock Trauma Platoon.
Upon return, CDR Hurst continued to serve as core academic faculty for the Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program. She completed a 1-year full time out service Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship at Denver Health Medical Center in 2012. Afterwards, she returned to NMCSD as Director of Emergency Ultrasound and established a comprehensive point-of-care ultrasound training program for the Emergency Medicine Residency and Physician Assistant Training Programs. She also developed an annual regional point-of-care ultrasound course and created a deployment ultrasound training curriculum for General Medical Officers in the fleet and deploying personnel.
From 2013-2015, CDR Hurst served as Senior Medical Officer for the Director of Medical Services and developed a web-based Morbidity and Mortality database and worked with Department Heads to greatly improve departmental review and learning from such cases. In 2015, she became Associate Program Director for the emergency Medicine Residency. She has published numerous papers in peer reviewed journals and multiple book chapters and lectures regularly at the national and regional level.
CDR Hurst’s personal decorations include the Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal with gold star and the Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal with gold star. She is authorized to wear the Fleet Marine Force and Naval Flight Surgeon Warfare Devices. She is an Assistant Professor of Military and Emergency Medicine at Uniformed Services University.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2014 Associate Master Clinician Award, Naval Medical Center San Diego
- 2008-2009 Academic Chief Resident, Emergency Department, NMCSD
- July 2017 - pres USU Committee on Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure (CAPT), member
- July 2015 - 2017 NMCSD Emergency Medicine Residency Program Clinical Competency Committee, Chair
- 2015-2017 Associate Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 2014-2015 Emergency Ultrasound Faculty Development Director, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 2012-2017 Director of Emergency Ultrasound, Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 2012-2017 Attending Physician, Core Academic Faculty, Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA
- 2009-2010 Shock Trauma Platoon Officer-In-Charge Afghanistan (deployed)
- 2004-2006 NSA Souda Bay, Flight Surgeon, Souda Bay, Crete, Greece
- Kumetz EA, Cudnik R, Hurst ND, Rudinsky SL. Electronic Cigarette Explosion Injuries. Am J Emerg Med. 2016 Nov;34(11):2252.e1-2252.e3. (PMID 27133537)
- Ross EM, Deaton T, Hurst N, Siefert J. Operational Point-of-Care Ultrasound Review: Low-Cost Simulators and Resources for Advanced Prehospital Providers. J Spec Oper Med 2015 Spring; 15(1):71-8. (PMID 25770801)
- McKaigney CJ, Krantz MJ, LaRocque CL, Hurst ND, Buchanan MD, Kendall JL. E-point septal separation: a bedside tool for emergency physician assessment of left ventricular ejection fraction. Am J Emerg Med. 2014 Jun;32(6):493-7. (PMID: 24630604)
- Olivera LG, Hurst ND, Magajna PW. Bedside Emergency Ultrasound in a Case of Acute Parotid Duct Sialolithiasis. J Emerg Med. 2014 Aug;47(2):e49-51. (PMID: 24877763)
- Hawley LA, Auten JD, Matteucci MJ, Decker L, Hurst N, Beer W, Clark RF. Cardiac complications of adult methamphetamine exposures. J Emerg Med. 2013 Dec;45(6)821-7. (PMID: 24054881)
- Hurst N, Macht M, Travis PJ, Pierce M, Brown WW 3rd. Post-menopausal female with abdominal pain. J Emerg Med. 2013 Dec;45(6)e221-2. (PMID 24012441)
- Hurst N. (2013) Left Flank Pain following a fall in an 8-year old female. In: McLario & Kendall (eds.) Case Studies in Pediatric Emergency and Critical Care Ultrasound. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Hurst N. (2013) Chest Trauma in an 8-year-old-male. In: McLario & Kendall (eds.) Case Studies in Pediatric Emergency and Critical Care Ultrasound. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Hurst N. (2013) Fall from a tree in a 6-year-old female and an 10-year-old male. In: McLario & Kendall (eds.) Case Studies in Pediatric Emergency and Critical Care Ultrasound. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Hurst N. (2013) Prehospital Ultrasound. In: Cosby & Kendall (eds.) Practical Guide to Emergency Ultrasound, Second Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins