Patrick Hickey, MD
Patrick W. Hickey, MD, Colonel, Army
Name: Patrick W. Hickey, MD, Colonel, Army
Deployment and Traveler's Health, Malaria Prevention
Infectious Diseases and Global Health
Doctor of Medicine, Uniformed Services University, 1999
Pediatric Residency, Tripler Army Medical Center, 2002
Pediatric Infectious Disease Fellowship, Walter Reed Army Medical Center / National Capital Consortium, 2007
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Chair, Department of Pediatrics: Lead a department of 50 on-site faculty and staff, with more than 750 national faculty members, that provides pediatric educational curriculum oversight and implementation in support of the School of Medicine’s mission to develop the future leaders of military medicine. Provide strategic leadership to research programs that address dual-threat conditions of importance to child health and the warfighter. Principal Investigator on the Research Accelerating Military Pediatrics
- Department of Defense Deputy-Principal for US Army, President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Relief, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research: Interagency strategic planning for the largest bilateral international AID program in the US Government. Lead a US based agency technical oversight and management team with 29 staff members and a $6.5 million budget, overseeing an international comprehensive HIV prevention and treatment implementation program in Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania.
- Program Director, Masters in Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University, July 13 – July 2016
- Medical Director, DOD Ebola Treatment Training Team, Liberia Oct-Dec 2014
- Ashley DP, Fraser J, Yun H, Kunz A, Fairchok M, Tribble D, Mitra I, Johnson MD, Hickey PW, Ganesan A, Deiss RG, Lalani T, For The Idcrp TravMil Study Group. A Comparison of Pretravel Health Care, Travel-Related Exposures, and Illnesses among Pediatric and Adult U.S. Military Beneficiaries. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2019 Mar 25.
- Ake JA, Polyak CS, Crowell TA, Kiweewa F, Semwogerere M, Maganga L, Bahemana E, Maswai J, Langat R, Owuoth J, Otieno S, Keshinro B, Esber AL, Liu M, Eller LA, Ganesan K, Parikh AP, Hamm TE, Robb ML, Hickey PW, Valcour VG, Michael NL; AFRICOS Study Team. Noninfectious Comorbidity in the African Cohort Study (AFRICOS). Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Nov 26.
- Lee EH, Miller RH, Masuoka P, Schiffman E, Wanduragala DM, DeFraites R, Dunlop SJ, Stauffer WM, Hickey PW. Predicting Risk of Imported Disease with Demographics: Geospatial Analysis of Imported Malaria in Minnesota, 2010-2014. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018 Oct;99(4):978-986.
- Kersgard CM, Hickey PW. Adult malaria chemoprophylaxis prescribing patterns in the military health system from 2007-2011. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Aug;89(2):317-25.
- Hickey PW, Cape KE, Masuoka P, Campos JM, Pastor W, Wong EC, Singh N. A local, regional, and national assessment of pediatric malaria in the United States. J Travel Med. 2011 May-Jun;18(3):153-60.
- Bear KA, Higginson AI, Hickey PW. Disparities exist in the availability of outpatient malaria treatment in Maryland, USA. J Travel Med. 2010 Jul-Aug;17(4):228-32.
- Hickey PW, Sutton DA, Fothergill AW, Rinaldi MG, Wickes BL, Schmidt HJ, Walsh TJ. Trichosporon mycotoxinivorans, a novel respiratory pathogen in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Oct;47(10):3091-7.