Paul Crawford, MD
Paul Crawford, MD, Colonel, Air Force
Name: Paul Crawford, MD, Colonel, Air Force
Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
2007--Faculty Development Fellowship, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1998-2001--Family Medicine Residency, Eglin AFB, FL
1994-1998--Medical Degree, Penn State College of Medicine
1990-1994--BS with Honors in Animal Bioscience, Penn State University
He was selected to be part of a team to stand up a new Family Medicine Residency at Nellis AFB. While Associate Program Director and Program Director, Col Crawford 6 times successfully achieved maximum length program certification from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The Uniformed Services University recognized him with promotion to the academic rank of Full Professor of Family Medicine in 2016 and Outstanding Preceptor Award in 2012. He has presented nationally at many medical conferences, published >50 articles, multiple medical journals, edited for three different national groups, and served on the board of directors for two national organizations. He was awarded the US Air Force Physician Educator of the Year in 2014. He was deployed to 506th Expeditionary Medical Group, Kirkuk, Air Base in 2005/2006 as well as humanitarian missions to Paraguay and Peru.
He has extensive experience with research and publishing, and has authored >50 publications.
- Crawford P, Thai C, Oberholz J, Clark J, Schievenin J, True M, Hallgren J, Clark J, Sharon D. Assessment of the effeCt of lIfestyle iNtervention plus water-soluble ciNnAMon extract On loweriNg blood glucose in pre-diabetics: A randomized, double-blind, multicenter, placebo controlled TRIAL: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17:9. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-015-1138-7.
- Moss DA, Crawford P. Battlefield acupuncture for sore throat: A randomized controlled trial. J Am Board Fam Med 2015;28(6):697-705
- Crawford P, Wiltz SA. Participation in the Journey to Life Conversation Map improves hemoglobin A1C, low-density lipoprotein and diastolic blood pressure in patients with diabetes and poor glycemic control. JABFM. J Am Board Fam Med 2015;28(6):767-771.
- Nye NS, Carnahan DL, Jackson JC, Covey CJ, Zarzabal LA, Chao SY, Bockhorst AD, Crawford P. Abdominal circumference is superior to BMI in estimating musculoskeletal injury risk. Med Sci Sports Exer. 2014 Oct;46(10):1951-1959.
- Crawford P. Effectiveness of cinnamon for lowering hemoglobin A1C in type-2 diabetes: A randomized, controlled trial. J Am Board Fam Med. 2009;22(5):507-512.
- Crawford P, Seehusen DA. Scholarly activity in Family Medicine Residency programs: A national survey. Fam Med. 2011:43(5);311-317.
- Crownover BK, Crawford P. Areas of concentration increase scholarly activity: A 15-month experience. Fam Med 2008;40(2):87-90.
- Crawford P, Kim M. Acupuncture for frequent tension-type headaches. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Aug 1;94(3):Online
- Clauson E, Crawford P. What you must know before you recommend a probiotic. J Fam Pract. 2015;64(3):151-155.
- Crawford P. “Complementary and Alternative Medicine”. In Domino FJ, et al. (eds) 5-Minute Clinical Consult, 24th ed., Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2016