Paul Pasquina, M.D.
Paul F Pasquina, M.D.
Name: Paul F Pasquina, M.D.
TBI, Head Injury, Amputee, Regenerative Medicine
United States Military Academy
West Point, New York
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
College of Medicine
Bethesda, Maryland, 1991
U.S. Army Northern Warfare Training School Alaska, 1986
AMEDD Officer Basic Course San Antonio, Texas 1987
U.S. Army Airborne School Ft. Benning, Georgia 1988
Combat Casualty Course San Antonio, Texas 1992
AMEDD Officer’s Advanced CourseSan Antonio, Texas 1999
MEDICAL EDUCATION TRANSITIONAL INTERNSHIP:
Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center Fort Gordon, Georgia 1991-1992
PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION RESIDENCY:
Walter Reed Army Medical Center Washington, D.C.1992-1995
FELLOWSHIP PRIMARY CARE SPORTS MEDICINE
Uniformed University of Health Sciences
Nirschl Orthopedic Group
Washington, D.C. 1998-1999
Prior to his retirement from active military service, he served as the Chief of the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, the National Naval Medical Center and the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, which also included the Amputee and Traumatic Brain Injury Services. He has served as the PM&R specialty consultant to the Army Surgeon General; Senior Officer in Charge of the Ortiz Level II Military Treatment Facility, International Zone, Baghdad, Iraq; and a Secretarial appointee for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Advisory Committee on Prosthetics and Special Disabilities Programs. He continues to serve as a consultant to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), U.S. Army’s Medical Research and Material Command (MRMC), Food & Drug Agency (FDA), and as a member of the Board of Visitors for the Volgenau School of Engineering, Department of Bioengineering, George Mason University and University of Pittsburgh School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.
Dr. Pasquina has received multiple military awards, as well as awards for teaching and mentorship, including the U.S. Army’s “A” Proficiency Designation for academic excellence, the Order of Military Medical Merit, the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, da Vinci Lifetime Achievement Award, Partners in Progress Heroes of Military Medicine Award, Lewis Aspey Mologne Award, Alfred Mann Foundation Scientist of Year Award, Distinguished Clinician Award from the American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Chapel of the Four Chaplains Legion of Honor Bronze Medallion Bronze, and Honorary Fellow of the Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA).
He has authored multiple book chapters, journal articles and policy papers. His work as the co-editor of the Textbook of Military Medicine: Care of the Combat Amputee, was recognized with the First Place award for Technical Text from the Washington Book Publishers Association in 2010. Dr. Pasquina continues to serve on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development
- Clemens SM, Gailey RS, Bennett CL, Pasquina PF, Kirk-Sanchez NJ, Gaunaurd IA. The Component Timed-Up-and-Go test: the utility and psychometric properties of using a mobile application to determine prosthetic mobility in people with lower limb amputations. Clin Rehabil. 2017 Aug 1:269215517728324. doi:10.1177/0269215517728324. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28862042.
- Griffin SC, Curran S, Chan AWY, Finn SB, Baker CI, Pasquina PF, Tsao JW.Trajectory of phantom limb pain relief using mirror therapy: Retrospective analysis of two studies. Scand J Pain. 2017 Apr;15:98-103. doi:10.1016/j.sjpain.2017.01.007. Epub 2017 Mar 7. PubMed PMID: 28850360.
- Finn SB, Perry BN, Clasing JE, Walters LS, Jarzombek SL, Curran S, Rouhanian M, Keszler MS, Hussey-Andersen LK, Weeks SR, Pasquina PF, Tsao JW. A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Mirror Therapy for Upper Extremity Phantom Limb Pain in Male Amputees. Front Neurol. 2017 Jul 7;8:267. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2017.00267.eCollection 2017. PubMed PMID: 28736545; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5500638.
- Liu R, Kurihara C, Tsai HT, Silvestri PJ, Bennett MI, PASQUINA PF, Cohen SP.Classification and Treatment of Chronic Neck Pain: A Longitudinal Cohort Study. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2017 Jan/Feb;42(1):52-61. doi: 10.1097/AAP.0000000000000505. PubMed PMID: 27846187.
- Swanson TM, Isaacson BM, Cyborski CM, French LM, Tsao JW, PASQUINA PF. Traumatic Brain Injury Incidence, Clinical Overview, and Policies in the US Military Health System Since 2000. Public Health Rep. 2017 Jan 1:33354916687748. Doi:10.1177/0033354916687748. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28135424.