Penny Masuoka, MS
Penny Masuoka, MS
Name: Penny Masuoka, MS
Geographic Information Systems
in geological, agricultural, environmental, public health and other applications at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center for 24 years. She has been at the Uniformed Services University since 1997, where she teaches GIS, ecological niche modeling, and remote sensing, and supports research in vector-borne disease and other public health studies. In addition to her duties at USUHS, she supported the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center with mapping and GIS analysis for several years. She has taught remote sensing and GIS classes since 1990, first at NASA and more recently at the Uniformed Services University. She has taught a number of GIS/remote sensing workshops to DoD and other groups in countries around the globe.
- J D Voss, P Masuoka, B J Webber, A I Scher and R L Atkinson, 2013. Association of elevation, urbanization and ambient temperature with obesity prevalence in the United States. International Journal of Obesity, doi:10.1038/ijo.2013.5.
- Nicole Achee, Penny Masuoka, Philip Smith, Nicholas Martin, Theeraphap Chareonviryiphap, Suppaluck Polsomboon, Joko Hendarto and John Grieco, 2012. Identifying the effective concentration for spatial repellency of the dengue vector Aedes aegypti. Parasites & Vectors 2012, 5:300 doi:10.1186/1756-3305-5-300.
- Masuoka P, Klein TA, Kim H, Claborn DM, Achee N, Andre R, Chamberlin J, Small J, Anyamba A, Lee D, Yi SH, Sardelis M, Ju Y, Grieco, J, 2010. Modeling the Distribution of Culex tritaeniorhynchus to Predict Japanese Encephalitis Distribution in the Republic of Korea, Geospatial Health 5(1), 45-57.
- Hickey PW, Cape KE, Masuoka P, Campos JM, Pastor W, Wong EC, Singh N, 2011. A local, regional and national assessment of pediatric malaria in the United States. Journal of Travel Medicine, 18:3, 153-160.
- P. Masuoka, R. Burke, M. Colaccico, H. Razuri, D. Hill, and K.D. Murrell, 2008. Predicted geographic ranges for North American sylvatic Trichinella. Journal of Parasitology.
- Pope, K.O., P. Masuoka, E. Rejmankova, J. Grieco, S. Johnson and D. Roberts. 2005. Mosquito habitats, land use, and malaria risk in Belize from satellite imagery. Ecol. Appl. 15: 1223–1232.
- Acevedo, W. and Masuoka, P. 1997. Time-series animation techniques for visualizing urban growth. Computers & Geosciences 23(4): 423-436.
- Masuoka, P.M., Harris, J., Lowman, P.D., and H. Blodget, 1988. Digital Processing of Orbital Radar to Enhance Geologic Structure: Examples from the Canadian Shield. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, pp. 621-632.