Raymond Bonds, DNP, CRNA, NEA-BC, CHSE
Raymond L Bonds, DNP, CRNA, NEA-BC, CHSE, Commander, Navy
Name: Raymond L Bonds, DNP, CRNA, NEA-BC, CHSE, Commander, Navy
Healthcare Simulation, Handoff Communication, Regional Anesthesia
Diabetes Management, Academic Testing
Chatham University, Pittsburgh, PA (DNP) 2012
Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD, (MSN) 2010
University of Phoenix, San Diego, CA, (MSN) 2003
Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA, (BSN) 2000
Dr. Bonds is a passionate educator who is an advocate for graduate nursing curriculum and faculty development. Since becoming a CRNA in 2010, he has always served as an educator for nurse anesthesia students, initially as a clinical coordinator, then adjunct assistant professor, with an appointment to assistant professor in 2014.
As a Certified Simulation Healthcare Educator (CHSE), Dr. Bonds is a leader for the utilization of simulation as experimental learning in graduate education. Additionally, he graduated from the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) Healthcare Modeling and Simulation Certificate program in 2017.
Dr. Bonds is a voted Delegate member of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetist (AANA) Education Committee from a competitive field of eight candidates. Dr. Bonds is on the Oversight Subcommittee for the NBCRNA Continued Professional Certification Assessment (CPCA).
Dr. Bonds is a leader and mentor for scholarly work. He led an interprofessional team to implement an evidence-based handoff tool to improve communication. As a senior mentor, Dr. Bonds guided graduate nursing students to implement an evidence-based system to improve perioperative medication guidance for diabetic patients. Additionally, he mentored students to implement regional anesthesia education to improve anesthesia provider skills with providing transversus abdominis plane (TAP) blocks.
Dr. Bonds is currently participating in an evidence-based practice change involving the proper risk stratification and interventions for post-op nausea and vomiting that received grant funding from the Tri-Service Nursing Research Program (TSNRP). Dr. Bonds serves on the editorial board for the Student Journal of Nurse Anesthesia (SJNA) and is a reviewer for two nurse anesthesia journals.
Dr. Bonds is an active duty Commander in the Navy Nurse Corps with the following awards: Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal (3), Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (3), and Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.
Dr. Bonds is a member of the AANA, Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH), and The International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL). Dr.. Bonds is the President of the Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Federal Nurses Chapter (Tau Theta) Honor Society, .
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2017 - AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation, TSNRP Poster/Podium Presentation: Breastfeeding After Surgery: Influencing Postoperative Recommendations.
- 2016 – AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation, TSNRP Poster/Podium Presentation: Education Program for an Ultrasound-Guided Liposomal Bupivacaine Transverse Abdominis (TAP) Block Protocol for Open Abdominal Procedures.
- 2015 - AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation, TSNRP Poster/Podium Presentation: Implementation of a Standardized Preoperative Diabetes Medication Management Guideline.
- 2013 – USU Research Days Poster Presentation: SBAR Tool implementation to Improve Communication, Teamwork, and the Perception of Patient Safety.
- 2010 - AANA State of the Science Poster Presentation: Evaluation of Postprocedure Cognitive Function Using Three Distinct Standard Sedation Regimens for Endoscopic Procedures.
- 2007 – Special Assistant to the Commanding Officer: Command Managed Equal Opportunity Director
- 2006 – Deployment to Joint Task Force Guantanamo Bay, Joint Medical Group
- 2004 - Deployment to Joint Task Force Guantanamo Bay, Joint Medical Group
- O’Driscoll, L., Moore, C., & Bonds, R.L. (2019). Identification and Management of Ischemic Stroke in the Recovery Room. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 34(5), 881-888.
- Cuevas, D., Rucker, M., Johnson, D., Crerar, D., Wofford, K. & Bonds, R. L. (2019). Implementation of a Standardized Preoperative Diabetes Medication Guideline and its Effect on Day of Procedure Glucose Levels. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 34(2), 303-309.
- Cuevas, D., Bonds, R.L.& Powell, A. (2018). Complications Related to Laryngeal Mask Airway Usage and a Post-Operative Diagnosis of Reinke’s Edema: A Case Study. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal, 86(6), 443-445.
- O’Driscoll, L., Girolamo, R., Moore, C., Crerar, C., Wofford, K. & Bonds, R.L. (2018). Implementation of an Education Program for an Ultrasound-Guided Liposomal Bupivacaine Transversus Abdominis Plane (TAP) Block Protocol for Open Abdominal Procedure. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal, 86(6)479-497.
- Bonds, R.L. (2018). PATIENT SAFETY. SBAR Tool Implementation to Advance Communication,Teamwork, and the Perception of Patient Safety Culture. Creative Nursing, 24(2), 116-123.
- Watkins, T., Bonds, R.L., Hodges, K., Goettle, B.B., Dobson, D.A.M. and Maye, J.P. (2014). Evaluation of Postprocedure Cognitive Function Using 3 Distinct Standard Sedation Regimens for Endoscopic Procedures. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal, 82(2), 133-139.