Thanh Hoang, D.O.
Thanh D. Hoang, D.O., Commander, Navy
Name: Thanh D. Hoang, D.O., Commander, Navy
Lake Erie, PA
1999-2000 Post-Baccalaureate; Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
1993-1997 Bachelor of Science/Biochemistry; University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
POST GRADUATE MEDICAL TRAINING
2009-2011 Fellowship, Endocrinology and Metabolism; National Capital Area Consortium; Bethesda, Maryland.
2004-2007 Residency: Internal Medicine, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.
He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry and graduated with cum laude from the University of Maryland, College Park. He received his medical degree from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2004 and completed his internship and residency training at the National Naval Medical Center (NNMC), Bethesda, Maryland in 2007.
Dr Hoang had served as a staff internist at the U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Japan from 2007-2009 and received a Teacher of the Year award 2008- 2009. Dr Hoang completed his fellowship training at NNMC and is board certified in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism. He served as a staff endocrinologist at NNMC (2011-2012) and at NMC Portsmouth (2012-2013). He served as Head, Endocrinology and Metabolism Division and Diabetes Champion at the Naval Medical Center San Diego (2013-2016) and Associate Professor in medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Endocrinology. He has authored a variety of publications, including peer-reviewed articles, letter to the editor, and book chapters. He was recognized as “Associate Master Clinician Award” (2014) from NMCSD. He came back to WRNMMC, Bethesda in November 2016 to join the Endocrinology clinic here and to serve as the NCC Endocrinology Fellowship Program Director.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2016-Present: Program Director, Endocrinology Fellowship Program, National Capital Area Consortium
- 2013-2015: Service Chief, Endocrinology and Metabolism Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego
- 2018-Present: Director, Endocrine Division, USUHS
- 2018-Present: Deputy Chair, Credentials Committee, WRNMMC
- 2007-2009: Staff Internist, Department of Medicine, USNH Yokosuka, Japan
- Associate Professor in Medicine, USUHS (Nov 2016 – Present)
- 2016 Exemplary National Faculty – Uniformed Services University
- 2014 Naval Medical Center San Diego “Associate Master Clinician”
- 2012 Fellow Representative of the AACE Mid-Atlantic Chapter 2011-2012
- 2008 United States Naval Hospital Yokosuka “Teacher of the Year”
- Denton GD, Hoang T, Prince L, Moores L, Durning S. Accuracy of Medical Student Electronic Logbook Problem List Entry. Teach Learn Med, An International Journal. 2007; 19(4):347-351.
- Hoang TD, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Glister BC, Shakir MK. Multinodular Goiter as The Initial Presentation of Systemic Sarcoidosis: Limitation of Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy. Respir Care Journal. 2011;56:1029-1032.
- Hoang TD, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Shakir MKM. Simultaneous Occurrence of Subacute Thyroiditis and Graves’ Disease. Thyroid 2011; 21 (12):1397-1400.
- Hoang TD, Jani AG, Mai VQ, Shakir MKM. Associations of Serum Ionized Calcium, Phosphate, and PTH levels with Parathyroid Scan in Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Endocr Pract. 2019:25(1):16-22.
- Hoang TD, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Shakir MK. Over-the-Counter-Drug-Induced Thyroid Disorders. Endocr Pract. 2013(19):268-274.
- Hoang TD, Olsen CH, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Shakir MK. Desiccated Thyroid Extract Compared With Levothyroxine in the Treatment of Hypothyroidism: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Crossover Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(5):1982-1990.
- Hoang TD, Kremp AN, Daily JG, Galitz MS. Visual Vignette: Transient hyperthyroidism in gestational trophoblastic neoplasm. Endocr Pract. 2013 May-Jun 19:561.
- Gastwirt JP, Hoang TD, Shwayhat AF. Case report on Clinical Vignette: Ectopic ACTH producing Atypical Carcinoid. Endocr Pract. 2015 (21)2:214.
- Generoso JC, Hoang TD, Peterson B, Shwayhat AF. Case report on Clinical Vignette: Grave’s disease with papillary thyroid cancer. Endocr Pract. 2015 (21)5:557.
- Moore JB, Hoang TD, Valentine JC, Maves RC. Coccidioidal Thyroiditis. Endocr Pract. 2016;22(6):766. PMID 26720249.