Thanh Hoang, D.O., FACP, FACE
Thanh D. Hoang, D.O., FACP, FACE, Commander, Navy
Name: Thanh D. Hoang, D.O., FACP, FACE, Commander, Navy
Lake Erie, PA
1999-2000 Post-Baccalaureate; Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
1993-1997 Bachelor of Science/Biochemistry; University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
POST GRADUATE MEDICAL TRAINING
2009-2011 Fellowship, Endocrinology and Metabolism; National Capital Area Consortium; Bethesda, Maryland.
2004-2007 Residency: Internal Medicine, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.
Dr. Hoang is board-certified in endocrinology as well as in internal medicine and is an active member of several professional organizations including Endocrine Society, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), American College of Physicians, and Association of Program Directors in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism (APDEM). Currently he is a member of the Nomination Committee, Fellows of AACE Application Committee, Thyroid/Parathyroid Disease State Network for AACE as well as Residency Curriculum Committee for Endocrine Society. He has served as a reviewer for various peer-review journals including Endocrine Practice Journal, British Medical Journal, Clinical Physiology and Functional imaging Journal, and Armed Forces Health Surveillance Branch (AFHSB) peer-reviewed journal. He has functioned as a Course Director for the Diabetes Symposium; Course Director for Thyroid Ultrasound and Fine Needle Aspiration; moderator for AACE hypo/hyperthyroid podcast and moderator for national/international Diabetes Technology Society Conferences.
Dr. Hoang has published more than 100 peer-reviewed articles, letter to the editor, abstracts and book chapters in the areas of thyroid, parathyroid, bone and other endocrine problems. To be highlighted are his publications at prestigious journals such as Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, Thyroid, Endocrine Practice, AACE Clinical Case Reports, and Endocrine Secret books. He has presented multiple scientific abstracts at national and international meetings and has been invited for numerous regional, national and international speaking engagements.
Dr. Hoang has received various awards such as Teacher of the Year Award; Associate Master Clinician Award; James J. Leonard Award for excellence in teaching in internal medicine; Exemplary National Faculty; and College Chemistry Achievement Award.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- 2016-Present: Program Director, Endocrinology Fellowship Program, National Capital Area Consortium
- 2013-2015: Service Chief, Endocrinology and Metabolism Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego
- 2018-Present: Director, Endocrine Division, USUHS
- 2018-2020: Chair, Credentials Committee, WRNMMC
- 2007-2009: Staff Internist, Department of Medicine, USNH Yokosuka, Japan
- Associate Professor in Medicine, USUHS (Nov 2016 – Present)
- 2016 Exemplary National Faculty – Uniformed Services University
- 2014 Naval Medical Center San Diego “Associate Master Clinician”
- 2012 Fellow Representative of the AACE Mid-Atlantic Chapter 2011-2012
- 2008 United States Naval Hospital Yokosuka “Teacher of the Year”
- Denton GD, Hoang T, Prince L, Moores L, Durning S. Accuracy of Medical Student Electronic Logbook Problem List Entry. Teach Learn Med, An International Journal. 2007; 19(4):347-351.
- Hoang TD, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Glister BC, Shakir MK. Multinodular Goiter as The Initial Presentation of Systemic Sarcoidosis: Limitation of Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy. Respir Care Journal. 2011;56:1029-1032.
- Hoang TD, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Shakir MKM. Simultaneous Occurrence of Subacute Thyroiditis and Graves’ Disease. Thyroid 2011; 21 (12):1397-1400.
- Hoang TD, Jani AG, Mai VQ, Shakir MKM. Associations of Serum Ionized Calcium, Phosphate, and PTH levels with Parathyroid Scan in Primary Hyperparathyroidism. Endocr Pract. 2019:25(1):16-22.
- Hoang TD, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Shakir MK. Over-the-Counter-Drug-Induced Thyroid Disorders. Endocr Pract. 2013(19):268-274.
- Hoang TD, Olsen CH, Mai VQ, Clyde PW, Shakir MK. Desiccated Thyroid Extract Compared With Levothyroxine in the Treatment of Hypothyroidism: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Crossover Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(5):1982-1990.
- Hoang TD, Kremp AN, Daily JG, Galitz MS. Visual Vignette: Transient hyperthyroidism in gestational trophoblastic neoplasm. Endocr Pract. 2013 May-Jun 19:561.
- Gastwirt JP, Hoang TD, Shwayhat AF. Case report on Clinical Vignette: Ectopic ACTH producing Atypical Carcinoid. Endocr Pract. 2015 (21)2:214.
- Generoso JC, Hoang TD, Peterson B, Shwayhat AF. Case report on Clinical Vignette: Grave’s disease with papillary thyroid cancer. Endocr Pract. 2015 (21)5:557.
- Hoang TD, Shakir KM. Letter to the Editor. Parathyroid Scan Calculator. Endocr Pract. 2020;26(7):797-798.