V. Ann Stewart, DVM, PhD
V. Ann Stewart, DVM, PhD
Name: V. Ann Stewart, DVM, PhD
malaria and HIV co-infection
Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Colorado State University, 1993
DVM NYS College of Veterinary Medicine (Cornell), 1981
B.A. Cornell University College of Arts & Sciences
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Professor, Division of Tropical Public Health, Dept. of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, 2014- present
- US Army Superior Civilian Service Medal, June 2011.
- Senior scientist, Laboratory Director, Chief, Principle investigator, and Veterinary Medical Officer, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Malaria Vaccine Development, 1997-2011
- Visiting Senior Scientist, US Army Medical Research Unit, Kenya, 2007-2010
- NRC Postdoctoral Fellow, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand, 1995-1997
- Veterinary Clinical Practioner, 1981-1986
- Miller RH, Obuya CO, Wanja EW, Ogutu B, Waitumbi J, Luckhart S, and VA Stewart. Characterization of Plasmodium ovale curtisi and P. ovale wallikeri in western Kenya utilizing a novel species-specific real-time PCR assay (2015). PLoS Negl Trop Dis 9(1): e0003469.
- Riley EM and VA Stewart (2013) Immune mechanisms in malaria: new insights in vaccine development. Nature Medicine 19(2):168-178.
- Parsons E, Otieno JA, Ong’echa JM, Nixon CE, Vulule J, Munz C, Stewart VA, and AM Moormann. Regulatory T cells in endemic Burkitt lymphoma patients are associated with poor outcomes: a prospective, longitudinal study (2016). PLoS One 11(12):e0167841.
- Parsons E, Epstein J, Sedegah M, Villasante E, and A Stewart. Decrease in circulating CD25(hi)FoxP3(+) regulatory T cells following vaccination with the candidate malaria vaccine RTS,S (2016). Vaccine 34(38):4618-4625.
- Hegge SR, Hickey BW, McGrath SM, and VA Stewart. Using hematology data from malaria vaccine research trials in humans and rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) to guide volume limits for blood withdrawal (2016). Comparative Medicine 66(6): 474-479.
- Murphy SC, JP Shott, S Parikh, P Etter, WR Prescott, VA Stewart. (2013). Malaria Diagnostics in Clinical Trials (review). Am J Trop Med Hyg 89(5):824-839.
- Lee, E. H., C. H. Olsen, T. Koehlmoos, P. Masuoka, A. Stewart, J. W. Bennett and J. Mancuso (2017). "A cross-sectional study of malaria endemicity and health system readiness to deliver services in Kenya, Namibia and Senegal." Health Policy and Planning 32(suppl_3): iii75-iii87.