Weyinshet Gossa, MD, MPH
Weyinshet P. Gossa, MD, MPH
Name: Weyinshet P. Gossa, MD, MPH
Global Health education and research, Women’s Health
2011: M.D., M.P.H. in Community and Population Health, University of Maryland School of Medicine
2006: B.S., Biology and Chemistry with concentration in Molecular Biology, Loyola University Maryland
2004: Study Abroad, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Dr. Gossa's primary areas of interest are in Women’s Health and Global Health with a focus on capacity building in medical education and research. Dr. Gossa is originally from Ethiopia and has worked with academic institutions in Ethiopia to promote the growth and development of family medicine education. Dr. Gossa is currently the Co-Director of the Global Health Distance Learning Program at USU. She is also the faculty advisor for the Global Health Student Interest Group at USU.
Dr. Gossa is a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine.
- Gossa, W. P., Jones, C., Raiciulescu, S., Melaku, M., Kebebew, E., Zerihun, M., Fetters, M.D. (2016). Family Medicine Resident’s Attitudes about Training in Ethiopia and the United States. Family Medicine, 51(5): 424-429.
- Gossa, W. P., Melaku, M. G., Klyushnenkova, E., Nigatu, B., Bekele, D. & Khanna, N. (2017). Effective and Efficient Approach to Cervical Cancer Screening Education in Ethiopia. Journal of Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine, 1(3): 1-6.
- Gossa, W.P., Wondimagegn, D., Mekonnen, D., Eshetu, D., Abebe, Z. & Fetters, M.D. (2016). Key Informants' Perspectives on Development of Family Medicine Training Programs in Ethiopia. Advances in Medical Education and Practice, 7: 261-269.
- Gossa, W.P., Fetters, M.D., & Zazove, P. (2015). The Dawn of Family Medicine in Ethiopia. Family Medicine, 47 (2): 148.
- Chang, T., Gossa, W.P., Sharp, A.L., Rowe, Z., Kohatsu, L., Cobb, E. & Heisler, M. (2014). Text messaging as a community-based survey tool: A pilot study. BMC Public Health, 14:936.
- Sharp, A.L., Chang, T., Cobb, E., Gossa, W.P., Rowe, Z., Kohatsu, L., & Heisler, M. (2014). Exploring Real-time Patient Decision-making for Acute Care: A Pilot Study. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 15(6).
- Rew, K.T., Clarke, S.L., Gossa, W.P., & Savin, D. (2014). Immigrant and Refugee Health: Medical Evaluation. FP Essential 243:11-18.
- Rew, K.T., Clarke, S.L., Gossa, W.P., & Savin, D. (2014). Immigrant and Refugee Health: Mental Health Conditions. FP Essential 243:19-23.
- Rew, K.T., Clarke, S.L., Gossa, W.P., & Savin, D. (2014). Immigrant and Refugee Health: Common Infectious Diseases. FP Essential 243:24-29.
- Rew, K.T., Clarke, S.L., Gossa, W.P., & Savin, D. (2014). Immigrant and Refugee Health: Cross-Cultural Communication. FP Essential 243:30-33.