William Gilliland, MD, MHPE
William Gilliland, MD, MHPE
Name: William Gilliland, MD, MHPE
Pre-clinical autoimmune markers in rheumatoid arthritis, medical school curriculum
Programmatic evaluation, student assessment
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, M.D. 1983-1987
University of Illinois at Chicago, MHPE 1998-2004
Internship (Medicine), Fitzsimons AMC 1987-1988
Residency (Medicine), Fitzsimons AMC 1988-1990
Fellowship (Rheumatology), Walter Reed AMC 1990-1992
During his 25 years in the U.S. Army, COL Gilliland served in a variety of clinical and academic roles including Introduction to Clinical Medicine- III Course Director, Fourth Year Clerkship Director for the Department of Internal Medicine, and the Rheumatology Fellowship Director. After retiring from the Army in 2008, he served as the Assistant Dean for Curriculum and later selected as the Associate Dean for Medical Education at USU.
Academically, he holds the rank of Professor of Medicine at USU and he has authored or co-authored over 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts and 14 book chapters. He has numerous teaching awards including the ACP Master Teaching Award. While at USUHS, he has record of outstanding service to both the undergraduate and graduate medical education programs.
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
- Gilliland WR, Pangaro LN, Downing S, Hawkins RE, Omori DM, Marks ES, Adamo G, Bordage G, “Standardized versus actual hospitalized patients to teach history taking and physical examination skills.” TLM, 2006; 18(3):188-195.
- Mount GR, Gilliland WR, “Emerging biological therapies in systemic lupus erythematosus.” Clin Pharm Therapeutics 2008; 83(1):167-71.
- Gilliland WR, LaRochelle J, Hawkins R, Dillon GF, Mechaber AJ, Dyrbye L, Papp KK, Durning SJ. “Changes in clinical skills education resulting from the introduction of the USMLETM Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) Examination.” Med Teach 2008; 30(3):325-327.
- Majka DS, Deane KD, Parrish LA, Baron AE, Walker CW, Rubertone MV, Gilliland WR, Norris JM, Holers VM “Rheumatoid arthritis – related antibodies appear earlier in the pre-clinical period in subjects with older age disease onset.” Ann Rheum Disease 2008; 67(6):801-7.
- Gilliland WR, Waechter DM. “A Curricular divide: basic pharmacology vs. clinical pharmacology.” Clin Pharmacol Ther 2011; 89(1):24-26.
- Gilliland WR, Artino AR Jr., Waechter DM, McManigle JE, Cruess DF, Calloway M, Arze BC, Durning SJ. “Identifying themes within a medical school admission committee’s reviews of applicants.” Mil Med, 2012; 177(Sept supp):16-20.
- Jardine DA, Dong T, Artino AR, Durning SJ, Waechter DM, DeZee K, Cruess D, Gilliland WR. “Alternate list matriculants: Outcome data from those students admitted from the alternate list.” Mil Med, 2012; 177(Sept supp):7-10.
- DeZee K, Durning SJ, Dong T, Artino AR, Gilliland WR, Waechter DM, McManigle JE, Saguil A, Cruess D, Boulet J. :Where are they now? USU School of Medicine graduates after their military obligation is complete.” Mil Med, 2012; 177(Sept supp):68-71.
- Gilliland WR, Dong T, Artino AR, Waechter DM, Cruess D, DeZee K, McManigle J, Durning SJ. “Relationship between admissions committee review and student performance in medical school and internship.” Mil Med, 2012; 177(Sept supp):21-25.
- Gilliland WR, Dong T, Artino AR, McManigle JE, Saguil A, Cruess DF, Holland S, Durning SJ. “Career accomplishments of Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences medical graduates: Classes 1980- 2001.” Mil Med, 2015; 180: 109-112.
- Program Director, Rheumatology Fellowship 2000-2006 National Capital Consortium
- Division Director, Rheumatology 2006 - present
- Assistant Dean for Curriculum 2008- 2012
- Associate Dean for Medical Education 2012- present
- Honor Societies: University of Nebraska Phi Beta Kappa (1981), University of Nebraska Beta Beta Beta (1981), Uniformed Services University Alpha Omega Alpha (1987)
- Teaching awards: Outstanding Teacher Award, Walter Reed Army Medical Center (1996); American Association of Medical Colleges -Organization of Student Representatives (AAMC-OSR) Humanism in Medicine Award (1999); Army “A” Designator (2002); Best MHPE Paper, University of Illinois – Chicago (2005); American College of Physicians Master Teacher Award (2006); Przemyslaw “Mac” Hirzel Award for Excellence in Teaching (2008)
- Publications: 59 journal articles, 14 book chapters, 3 editorials