Obstetrics and gynecology is a challenging and exciting field of medicine. There are few, if any, other specialties that offer both the wide scope of clinical and surgical experience and opportunity to be part of as many life-changing events in our patient’s lives. We are critical to military medical readiness for our female service members and dependents.
While our focus is women's health care, the specialty is broad. In the scope of one day, you could deliver a baby, perform a major surgery that ultimately allows a woman to return to her military mission, counsel a couple experiencing infertility, and discover and treat a precancerous cervical lesion!
In obstetrics and gynecology, you will experience a balance of surgery, ambulatory care, and office practice while still managing pregnancy, delivery, and related complications. Our specialty also offers fellowship training opportunities in Gynecologic Oncology, Urogynecology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
The OB/GYN Department is the premier organization in the MHS for women’s healthcare. We lead advocacy for and provide the highest quality patient-centered care emphasizing readiness, education, training and research for our specialty. From the bench, to the bedside, to the battlefield, we will prepare our students, staff and faculty to operate in every environment in which the MHS deploys. We will build leaders in women’s healthcare with the patient as the center of every effort.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology’s Mission:
- Instruct medical students in the principles of clinical obstetrics and gynecology in the classroom and the ambulatory and inpatient care settings
- Participate in the preclinical instruction programs of the basic science departments and interdepartmental courses to promote the principles of women's health in general and obstetrics and gynecology
- Provide guidance and leadership for medical student interest groups, honor societies, and other student-led academic programs
- Offer structured instructional opportunities in basic laboratory research for interested medical students, residents, and fellows to include Capstone projects
- Participate as a partner/sponsor of the following GME training programs:
- National Capital Uniformed Services Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship Program
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Fellowship Program
- Urogynecology Fellowship Program
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship Program
- Provide direct faculty participation and support to the day-to-day instruction of residents and on-site clinical care at the teaching hospitals in the capital area
- Respond to Department of Defense initiatives and departmentally identified academic needs in developing and presenting University sponsored continuing education courses for physicians and other health care providers in military and Public Health Service clinical practice settings
- Develop and conduct laboratory and clinical research across the spectrum of Women’s Health
If you have additional questions or would like more information about the exciting opportunities the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology can offer, please contact our Clerkship Director or Department Chair to discuss!
Title: Clerkship Coordinator
Email: email@example.com (link sends e-mail)
Office Phone: (301) 295-3777
Katerina Shvartsman, MD
Title: Director of Clinical Clerkships and Assistant Professor
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail)
Office Phone: (301) 295-6009