- I. Shuryak, R. Tkavc, V.Y. Matrosova, R.P. Volpe, O. Grichenko, P. Klimenkova, I.H. Conze, I.A. Balygina, E.K. Gaidamakova, MICHAEL J. DALY (2019) Chronic gamma radiation resistance in fungi correlates with resistance to chromium and elevated temperatures, but not with resistance to acute irradiation. Scientific Reports, 9:11361.
- H. Meeks, R. Oates, C. Warner, A. Ruffing, C. Turick, E. Winder, H. Cui, K. Buckley, R. Lacey, R. Volpe, R. Barbato, T. Steen, V. Raman, W. McKendree, A. Timperman, A. Wolf, A. Palmer, A. Skibo, A. Driks, C. Branda, C. Bagwell, G. Payne, I. Shuryak, J. DePriest, K. Jackman, M. Magnuson, MICHAEL J. DALY, M. Sussman, M. Baranki, P. Vandeventer, R. Brigmon, Z. Wang (2019) Bionuclear Working Group 2019 Strategic Document, DTRA, Department of Defense
- D. Pearce, A. Antunes, A. Coustenis, MICHAEL J. DALY, A. Fraeman, A. Greshake, G. Libourel,
A. Nakamura, F. Poulet (2019) Planetary Protection Requirements for Sample-Return Missions from Martian Moons.
- Rok Tkavc, Vera Y. Matrosova, Olga E. Grichenko, Cene Gostincar, Robert P. Volpe, Polina Klimenkova, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Carol E. Zhou, Benjamin J. Stewart, Mathew G. Lyman, Stephanie A. Malfatti, Bonnee Rubinfeld, Melanie Courtot, Jatinder Singh, Clifton L. Dalgard, Theron Hamilton, Kenneth G. Frey, Nina Gunde-Cimerman, Lawrence Dugan, MICHAEL J. DALY (2018) Prospects for Fungal Bioremediation of Acidic Radioactive Waste Sites: Characterization and Genome Sequence of Rhodotorula taiwanensis MD1149. Front. Microbiol. Vol. 8, doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2017.02528.
- Igor Shuryak, Vera Y. Matrosova, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Rok Tkavc, Olga E. Grichenko, Polina Klimenkova, Robert P. Volpe, MICHAEL J. DALY (2017) Microbial cells can cooperate to resist high-level chronic ionizing radiation. PLoS One, 12(12):e0189261, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0189261.
- Ajay Sharma, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Olga E. Grichenko, Vera Y. Matrosova, Veronika Hoeke, Polina Klimenkova, Isabel Conze, Robert P. Volpe, Rok Tkavc, Cene Gostincar, Nina Gunde-Cimerman, DiRuggiero, Igor Shuryak, Andrew Ozarowski, Brian M. Hoffman, MICHAEL J. DALY (2017) Across the tree of life, radiation resistance is governed by antioxidant Mn2+, gauged by paramagnetic resonance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 114(44): E9253–E9260, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1713608114.
- Manoshi Gayen, Paridhi Gupta, Elaine M. Morazzani, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Barbara Knollmann-Ritschel, MICHAEL J. DALY, Pamela J. Glass, Radha K. Maheshwari (2017) Deinococcus Mn2+-peptide complex: A novel approach to alphavirus vaccine development. Vaccine, 35:3672–3681.
- Vera Y. Matrosova, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Kira S. Makarova, Olga Grichenko, Polina Klimenkova, Robert P. Volpe, Rok Tkavc, Gözen Ertem, Isabel H. Conze, Evelyne Brambilla, Marcel Huntemann, Alicia Clum, Manoj Pillay, Krishnaveni Palaniappan, Neha Varghese, Natalia Mikhailova, Dimitrios Stamatis, TBK Reddy, Chris Daum, Nicole Shapiro, Natalia Ivanova, Nikos Kyrpides, Tanja Woyke, Hajnalka Daligault, Karen Davenport, Tracy Erkkila, Lynne A. Goodwin, Wei Gu, Christine Munk, Hazuki Teshima, Yan Xu, Patrick Chain, Michael Woolbert, Nina Gunde-Cimerman, Yuri I. Wolf, Tine Grebenc, Cene Gostincar, MICHAEL J. DALY (2017) High-quality genome sequence of the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus ficus KS 0460. Standards in Genomic Sciences, 12:46.
- Paridhi Gupta, Manoshi Gayen, Joan T. Smith, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Vera Y. Matrosova, Olga Grichenko, Barbara Knollmann-Ritschel, MICHAEL J. DALY, Juliann G. Kiang, Radha K. Maheshwari (2016) MDP: A Deinococcus Mn2+-Decapeptide Complex Protects Mice from Ionizing Radiation. PLoS ONE, 11(8), e0160575.
- Ajay Sharma, Elena K. Gaidamakova, Vera Y. Matrosova, Brian Bennett, MICHAEL J. DALY, Brian M. Hoffman (2013) Responses of Mn2+ speciation in Deinococcus radiodurans and Escherichia coli to ?-radiation by advanced paramagnetic resonance methods. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 110, 5945-5950.
- Valeria C. Culotta, MICHAEL J. DALY (2013) Manganese Complexes: Diverse Metabolic Routes to Oxidative Stress Resistance in Prokaryotes and Yeast. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, 19(9), 933-944.
- Lawrence A. Klobutcher, Elena Gaidamakova, MICHAEL J. DALY, Barbara Setlow, Peter Setlow (2013) Effects of Mn2+ levels on the resistance properties of Bacillus cereus spores. Journal of Bacteriology Research, 5(1),9-12.
- E.K. Gaidamakova, I.A. Myles, D.P. McDaniel, C.J. Fowler, P.A. Valdez, S. Naik, M. Gayen, P. Gupta, A. Sharma, P.J. Glass, R.K. Maheshwari, S.K. Datta, MICHAEL J. DALY (2012) Preserving Immunogenicity of Lethally Irradiated Viral and Bacterial Vaccine Epitopes Using a Radio- Protective Mn(2+)-Peptide Complex from Deinococcus. Cell Host Microbe, 12(1),117-124. Supplemental Material.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2012) Death by protein damage in irradiated cells. DNA Repair, 11(1), 12-21.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2012) The Achilles' heel of radiation resistant prokaryotes. In Assessment of Planetary Protection Requirements for Spacecraft Missions to Icy Solar System Bodies (Sogin ML et al., eds). Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences, National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences (In Press).
- S. Ghosh, A. Ramirez-Peralta, E. Gaidamakova, P. Zhang, Y.Q. Li, MICHAEL J. DALY, P. Setlow (2011) Effects of Mn levels on resistance of Bacillus megaterium spores to heat, radiation and hydrogen peroxide. J Appl Microbiol., 111(3),663-670.
- A.C. Granger, E.K. Gaidamakova, V.Y. Matrosova, MICHAEL J. DALY, P. Setlow (2011) Effects of Mn and Fe levels on Bacillus subtilis spore resistance and effects of Mn2+, other divalent cations, orthophosphate, and dipicolinic acid on protein resistance to ionizing radiation. Appl Environ Microbiol., 77(1),32-40.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, E.K. Gaidamakova, V. Y. Matrosova, J.G. Kiang, R. Fukumoto, D.Y. Lee, N.B. Wehr, G.A. Viteri, B.S. Berlett, R.L. Levine (2010) Small-molecule antioxidant proteome-shields in Deinococcus radiodurans. PLoS ONE, 5(9), e12570. Supplemental Material.
- K. S. Makarova, MICHAEL J. DALY (2010) Comparative genomics of stress response systems in Deinococcus bacteria. Storz G, Hennge R (Eds) In Bacterial Stress Responses, 27, 445-457.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2010) Deinococcus radiodurans: revising the molecular basis for radiation effects on cells. Extremophiles Handbook. Horikoshi, K. (Ed.). Springer, Japan.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2009) Deinococcus prospects. Nat. Rev. Microbiol., 7, 476.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2009) A new perspective on radiation resistance based on Deinococcus radiodurans. Nat. Rev. Microbiol., 7, 237-245.
- J. K. Fredrickson, S. W. Li, E. K. Gaidamakova, V. Y. Matrosova, M. Zhai, H. M. Sulloway, J. C. Scholten, M. G. Brown, D. L. Balkwill, MICHAEL J. DALY (2008) Protein oxidation: Key to bacterial desiccation resistance. Nature Publishing Group: The ISME Journal, 2, 393-403. Supplemental Material.
- B. Lai, S. Vogt, J. Mase, B. Ravel, K. Kemner, MICHAEL J. DALY (2007) Applications and future prospects for x-ray fluorescence microprobe analysis. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 13, 1426-1427.
- Makarova K. S., M.V. Omelchenko, E.K. Gaidamakova, V.Y. Matrosova, A. Vasilenko, M. Zhai, A. Lapidus, A. Copeland, E. Kim, M. Land, K. Mavrommatis, S. Pitluck, P. Richardson, J.C. Detter, T. Brettin, E. Saunders, B. Lai, B. Ravel, K.M. Kemner, Y. I. Wolf, A. Sorokin, A. V. Gerasimova, M. S. Gelfand, J.K. Fredrickson, E. V. Koonin, MICHAEL J. DALY (2007) Deinococcus geothermalis: The Pool of Extreme Radiation Resistance Genes Shrinks, PLoS ONE, 9, e955. Supplemental Material.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, E.K. Gaidamakova, V.Y. Matrosova, A. Vasilenko, Min Zhai, R.D. Leapman, B. Lai, B. Ravel, Shu-Mei W. Li, K.M. Kemner, J.K. Fredrickson (2007) Protein oxidation implicated as the primary determinant of bacterial radioresistance. PLoS Biology, 5(4), e92. Supplemental Material.
- J. W. Szostak, R. E. Blake, MICHAEL J. DALY, D. H. Grinspoon, A. D. Keefe, G.J. Olsen (2006) Assessment of planetary protection requirements for Venus missions. The National Academies Press, Commission on Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Applications. Letter Report.
- J. Qin, L. Song, H. Brim, MICHAEL J. DALY, A. Summers (2006) Hg(II) sequestration and protection by the MerR metal-binding domain (MBD). Microbiology, 152, 709-719.
- H. Brim, J.P. Osborne, H.M. Konstandarithes, J.K. Fredrickson, L.P. Wackett, MICHAEL J. DALY (2006) Deinococcus radiodurans engineered for complete toluene degradation facilitates Cr(VI) reduction. Microbiology, 152(8), 2469-2477.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2006) Modulating radiation resistance: Insights based on defenses against reactive oxygen species in the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. Clin Lab Med, 26(2), 491-504.
- X. Qiu, MICHAEL J. DALY, A. Vasilenko, M.V. Omelchenko, E.K. Gaidamakova, L. Wu, J. Zhou, G.W. Sundin, J.M. Tiedje (2006) Transcriptome analysis applied to survival of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 exposed to ionizing radiation. J. Bacteriology, 188(3), 1199-1204.
- M.V. Omelchenko, Yu.I. Wolf, E.K. Gaidamakova, V.Y. Matrosova, A. Vasilenko, Min Zhai, MICHAEL J. DALY, E.V. Koonin, K.S. Makarova. (2005) Comparative genomics of Thermus thermophilus and Deinococcus radiodurans: divergent routes of adaptation to thermophily and radiation resistance. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 5, 57-80. Supplemental Material.
- D. Ghosal, M. V. Omelchenko, E. K. Gaidamakova, V. Y. Matrosova, A. Vasilenko, A. Venkateswaran, H. M. Kostandarithes, H. Brim, K. S. Makarova, L. P. Wackett, J. K. Fredrickson, MICHAEL J. DALY (2005) How Radiation Kills Cells: Survival of Deinococcus radiodurans and Shewanella oneidensis Under Oxidative Stress. FEMS Microbiology Reviews, 29, 361-375. Supplemental Material.
- J. Szostak, J. C. Wheeler, S. A. Benner, J. Berry, R. Blake, W. Calvin, MICHAL J. DALY, K. H. Freeman, J. P. Gogarten, J. F. Kasting, A. Keefe, M. Keller, S. Pizzarello, J. Siefert, R. Summons, N. Woolf, L. M. Ziurys (2005) The Astrophysical Context of Life. The National Academies Press, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, E. K. Gaidamakova, V. Y. Matrosova, A. Vasilenko, M. Zhai, A. Venkateswaran, M. Hess, M. V. Omelchenko, H. M. Kostandarithes, K. S. Makarova, L. P. Wackett, J. K. Fredrickson, D. Ghosal (2004) Accumulation of Mn(II) in Deinococcus radiodurans Facilitates Gamma-Radiation Resistance. Science 306, 1025-1028. Supplemental Material.
- J. K. Fredrickson, J. M. Zachara, D. L. Balkwill, D. Kennedy, S. W. Li, H. M. Kostandarithes, MICHAEL J. DALY, M. F. Romine, F. J. Brockman (2004) Geomicrobiology of high level nuclear waste contaminated vadose sediments at the Hanford Site, Washington state. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 70, 4230-4241.
- M. Sandigursky, S. Sandigursky, P. Sonati, MICHAEL J. DALY, W. A. Franklin (2004) Multiple uracil-DNA glycosylase activities in D. radiodurans. DNA Repair, 3, 163-169.
- J. R. Battista, M. M. Cox, MICHAEL J. DALY, I. Narumi, M. Radman, S. Sommer (2003) The structure of Deinococcus radiodurans. Science, 302, 567-568.
- H. Brim, A. Venkateswaran, H. M. Kostandarithes, J. K. Fredrickson, MICHAEL J. DALY (2003) Engineering Deinococcus geothermalis for bioremediation of high-temperature radioactive waste environments. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 69, 4575-4582.
- Y. Liu, J. Zhou, A. Beliaev, J. Stair, L. Wu, D.K. Thompson, D. Xu, A. Venkateswaran, M. Omelchenko, M. Zhai, E. K. Gaidamakova, K. S. Makarova, E. Koonin, MICHAEL J. DALY (2003) Transcriptome dynamics of Deinococcus radioduransrecovering from ionizing radiation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 100, 4191-4196. Supplemental Material.
- M. S. Lipton, L. Pasa-Tolic, G. A. Anderson, D. J. Anderson, D. Auberry, J. R. Battista, MICHAEL J. DALY, J. K. Fredrickson, K. K. Hixson, H. Kostandarithes, T. Conrads, C. Masselon, M. Markille, R. J. Moore, M. F. Romine, Y. Shen, N. Tolic, H. R. Udseth, T. D.Veenstra, A. Venkateswaran , K. K Wong, R. Zhao, R. D. Smith (2002) Global analysis of the Deinococcus radiodurans R1 proteome using accurate mass tags. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 99, 11049-11054.
- J-I Kim, A. K. Sharma, S. N. Abbot, E. A Wood, D. Dwyer, A. Jambura, K. W. Minton, R B. Inman, MICHAEL J. DALY, M. M. Cox (2002) RecA protein from the extremely radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans: Expression, purification, and characterization. J. Bacteriol. 184, 1649-1660.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2002) The Quarantine and certification of martian samples: Appendix A: Deinococcus radiodurans as an analogue to extremophile organisms that may have survived on Mars. National Academy Press, Commission on Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Applications, pp. 67-69 (https://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309075718&page=67).
- K. S. Makarova, L. Aravind, Y. I. Wolf, R. L.Tatusov, K. Minton, E. V. Koonin, MICHAEL J. DALY (2001) Genome of the extremely radiation resistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans viewed from the perspective of comparative genomics. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 65, 44-79.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2001) The emerging impact of genomics on the development of biological weapons: Threats and benefits posed by engineered extremophiles. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine 21, 619-629.
- J. Nolling, G. Breton, M. V. Omelchenko, K. S. Makarova, Q. Zeng, R. Gibson, H. M. Lee, J. Dubois., D. Qiu, J. Hitti, Y. I. Wolf, R. L. Tatusov, F. Sabathe, L. Doucette-Stamm, R. L. Tatusov, P. Soucaille, MICHAEL J. DALY, G. N. Bennett, E. V. Koonin, D. R. Smith (2001) Genome sequence and comparative analysis of the solvent-producing bacterium Clostridium acetobutylicum. J. Bacteriol. 183, 4823-4838.
- L. W. Esposito, A. F. Cheng, B. C. Clark, MICHAEL J. DALY, E. I. Friedmann, B. M. Jakosky, R. Y Morita, A.-L. Reysenbach, D. A. Stahl (2001) Preventing the Forward Contamination of Europa, Space Studies Board, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- MICHAEL J. DALY (2000) Engineering radiation-resistant bacteria for environmental biotechnology. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 11, 280-285.
- H. Brim, S. McFarlan, L. Wackett, K. W. Minton, M. Zhai, J. Fredrickson, MICHAEL J. DALY (2000) Engineering Deinococcus radiodurans for metal remediation in radioactive mixed waste environments. Nature Biotechnology 18, 85-90.
- J. K. Fredrickson, H. M. Kostandarithes, A. W. Li, A. E. Pyle, MICHAEL J. DALY (2000) Reduction of Fe(III), Cr(VI), U(VI), and Tc(VII) by Deinococcus radiodurans. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66, 2006-2011.
- A.Venkateswaran, S. C. McFarlan, D. Ghosal, K. W. Minton, A. Vasilenko, K. Makarova, L. P. Wackett, MICHAEL J. DALY (2000) Physiologic determinants of radiation resistance in Deinococcus radiodurans. Appl. Environ. Mircobiol. 66, 2620-2626.
- K. S. Makarova, L. Aravind, MICHAEL J. DALY, E. V. Koonin (2000) Specific expansion of protein families in the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. Genetica 108, 25-34.
- O. White, J. A. Eisen, J. F. Heidelberg, E. K. Hickey, J.D. Peterson, R. J. Dodson, C. Zalewski, K. S. Makarova, L. Aravind, MICHAEL J. DALY, K. W. Minton, R. D. Fleischmann, K. A. Ketchum, K. E. Nelson, S. Salzberg, H. O. Smith, J. C. Venter, C. M. Fraser et al. (1999) Sequencing and functional analysis of the Deinococcus radiodurans genome. Science 286, 1571-1577.
- J. Lin, R. Qi, C. Aston, J. Jing, T. S. Anantharaman, B. Mishra, O. White, K. W. Minton, MICHAEL J. DALY, J. C. Venter, D. C. Schwarzt (1999) Whole genome shotgun optical mapping of Deinococcus radiodurans using genomic DNA molecules. Science 285, 1558-1561.
- R. C. Richmond, R Sridhar, MICHAEL J. DALY (1999) Physicochemical survival pattern for the radiophile Deinococcus radiodurans: A polyextremophile model for life on Mars. SPIE, 3755, 210-222.
- K. S. Makarova, Y. I. Wolf, K. W. Minton, O. White, MICHAEL J. DALY (1999) Short repeats and insertional elements inDeinococcus radiodurans and comparison to other bacterial species. Res. Microbiol. 150, 711-724.
- C. Lange, L. P. Wackett, K. W. Minton, MICHAEL J. DALY (1998) Engineering a recombinant Deinococcus radiodurans for organopollutant degradation in radioactive mixed waste environments. Nature Biotechnology 16, 929-933.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, K. W. Minton (1997) Recombination between a resident plasmid and the chromosome following irradiation of the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. Gene 187, 225-229.
- J. D. Carroll, MICHAEL J. DALY, K. W. Minton (1996) Expression of recA in Deinococcus radiodurans. J. Bacteriol. 178, 130-135.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, K. W. Minton (1996) An alternative pathway for recombination of chromosomal fragments precedes recA-dependent recombination in the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. J. Bacteriol. 178, 4461-4471.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, K. W. Minton (1995) Resistance to radiation. Science 270, 1318.
- K. W. Minton, MICHAEL J. DALY (1995) A model for repair of radiation induced DNA DSB's in the extreme radiophile Deinococcus radiodurans. Bioessays 17, 457-464.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, K. W. Minton (1995) Interchromosomal recombination in the extremely radioresistant bacteriumDeinococcus radiodurans. J. Bacteriol. 177, 5495-5505.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, L. Ouyang, K. W. Minton (1994) Interplasmidic recombination following irradiaition of the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. J. Bacteriol. 176, 7506-7515.
- MICHAEL J. DALY, L. Ouyang, P. Fuchs, K. W. Minton (1994) In vivo damage and recA-dependent repair of plasmid and chromosomal DNA in the radioresistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. J. Bacteriol. 176, 3508-3517.
The mission of the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences is to educate, train, and comprehensively prepare uniformed services health professionals, scientists, and leaders to support the Military and Public Health Systems, the National Security and National Defense Strategies of the United States, and the readiness of our Uniformed Services.
Since our first graduating class in 1980, the USU's MDs. Nurses and graduates in biomedical sciences provide exceptional service through service in the U.S. Military and civilian careers of distinction. Today, America's Medical School has 691 enrolled students and 5,043 graduates. Over 1,300 graduates in Biomedical Sciences lead aggressive research in medical research. Today's 663 graduates of the School of Nursing blend science, research and field training in advanced practice and PhD degrees. The USU's Postgraduate Dental College provides advanced degree's to the military's dental community, graduating 72 students since establishment.
Research At USU
The University's research program covers a range of clinical and other topics important to both the military and public health. Infectious diseases, trauma medicine, health maintenance, and cancer are areas of particular strength. Researchers are also making important new efforts in state-of-the-art fields that cut across disciplines, such as genomics, proteomics, and drug-delivery mechanisms.
USU is home to many different Centers and Institutes, which help advance the university's research, education and public service missions. Faculty members and students collaborate with other leading experts at USU's Centers and Institutes on projects that push incredible boundaries across manifold disciplines of biomedical science. Their work is shaping military medicine and world health in many positive, powerful ways.
Military At USU
The USU's military unique curriculum is supported by military professions from all services who teach USU's military and civilian students. All military personnel are supported by the USU Brigade, the Brigade staff are managed by the Military Personnel Office.
AFRRI At USU
AFRRI mission is to preserve the health and performance of U.S. military personnel and to protect humankind through research that advances understanding of the effects of ionizing radiation.
To these ends, the institute collaboratively researches the biological effects of ionizing radiation and provides medical training and emergency response to manage incidents related to radiation exposure.