Students and faculty of the Postgraduate Dental College received significant honors for their work recently.
· Dr. Kraig Vandewalle, Col (ret) - Professor of Comprehensive Dentistry, AFPDS, JBSA Lackland TX, was awarded the Thaddeus J. Weclew Award, from the Academy of General Dentistry, given to individuals who have served selflessly in education, organized dentistry and in the dental profession. This award was given to Col (ret) Vandewalle during the AGD Annual Session.
· Maj Joseph Marconyak, Endodontics Resident, AFPDS, Keesler AFB, was one of 10 winners of the American Association of Endodontists Resident Research Award.
· CAPT Joseph Molinaro, Professor of Comprehensive Dentistry, NPDS, was inducted into the International College of Dentists.
· CPT Lee Cote, Assistant Professor of Periodontics, APDS, Ft Hood, won the first place award in the Joseph L. Bernier Awards competition in category 1 research on "Effects of bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2)b dosage on early cellular events in local bone formation in the critical-size rat calvaria defect model".
· LCDR Teresita Alston, Periodontics Resident, NPDS, placed 1st overall in the 2015 NPDS Research Symposium competition; Award given by International College of Dentists.
· LT Michael Andersen, Prosthodontics Resident, NPDS, received the 2015 Chief of the Navy Dental Corps Award for Excellence (Academic).
· LT Marina Hernandez-Feldpausch, Comprehensive Dentistry Resident, NPDS, received the 2015 Dean’s Award for Excellence (Academic).
· LT Jared Beck, Periodontics Resident, NPDS, received the 1st place award at Federal Dental Services Table Clinic competition.
· CAPT Steve Hargitai, Professor of Orofacial Pain, NPDS, was elected as a Director of the American Board of Orofacial Pain on July 1, 2015 for a 5-year term. In this capacity, he becomes a lead manager of the board's new recertification process.