Dr. Thomas retired from the Army in May 2016 at the rank of Major General. He is a physician and dentist whose last assignment was as Chief Medical Officer and Director of the Defense Health Agency Healthcare Operations Directorate.
Dr. Thomas graduated from West Virginia University (WVU) on an ROTC scholarship in 1981. He is a graduate of the WVU School of Dentistry and served in the U.S. Army Dental Corps before receiving his Doctor of Medicine degree from the WVU School of Medicine in 1994. He earned a master’s degree in Strategic Studies from the U.S. Army War College in 2006. He completed his internship at Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and residency in Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Washington.
Dr. Thomas previously served as the Commanding General of Western Regional Medical Command; Chief, U.S. Army Medical Corps and Senior Market Executive for TRICARE Puget Sound Multi-Service Market.
Among his many military assignments, Dr. Thomas served as the Surgeon General for the U.S. Forces – Afghanistan, and Senior Medical Advisor for the International Security Assistance Forces Joint Command – Afghanistan; assistant Army Surgeon General for Force Projection; and commander of Blanchfield Army Community Hospital at Fort Campbell, Ky. He has deployed in support of Operation Just Cause, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Thomas previously served as the director of the Department of Surgery Research Program at Madigan Army Medical Center, and held a faculty appointment as clinical associate professor at the University of Washington in Seattle. He also served as adjunct faculty and staff surgeon at the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle and American Lake Veteran’s Administration Hospital in Tacoma.
- 1981 Bachelor of Arts degree in Biological Studies, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
- 1986 Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
- 1994 Doctor of Medicine degree, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
- 2006 Master of Strategic Studies degree, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Defense Distinguished Service Medal
- Army Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
- Bronze Star Medal with one oak leaf cluster
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Medal
- Combat Medical Badge
- Expert Field Medical Badge
- Army Flight Surgeon Badge
- Senior Parachutist Badge
- Air Assault Badge
- German Armed Forces Parachutist Badge
- Office of the Secretary of Defense Identification Badge
- Army Staff Identification Badge
- 2008 “A” Proficiency Designator, Office of the U.S. Army Surgeon General
- 2008 Order of Military Medical Merit, Office of the U.S. Army Surgeon General
- 2011 Presidential Commendation, American Academy of Pain Medicine
- 2015 Philipp M. Lippe Award, American Academy of Pain Medicine
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Diplomate, American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Association for Physician Leadership
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Dental Association
- American Medical Association
- Washington State Medical Society
- West Virginia State Medical/Dental Society