- Initial Training: All research personnel are required to complete initial human subjects’ protection training prior to any work on a human research protocol. The initial training is completed through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). CITI is the official HRPP training subscription service that USUHS has implemented for providing research ethics education to all members of the USUHS research community. The CITI certification is valid for three years.
- Interim Training: All research personnel must have a minimum of four cumulative hours of research-ethics continuing training which should be completed no sooner than one year, and no later than two years following completion of initial training. It is highly recommended that researchers take advantage of any educational opportunities or resources provided by the OHRPP or their professional organization.
- Triennial Training: Every three (3) years, all research personnel must become re-certified in human subjects’ protection training. The CITI on-line human subjects’ protection training program satisfies this requirement (as described above).
Instructions for CITI Learners
The curriculum for your course on the protection of human subjects has been defined by your institution according to your role in human subjects research. If you are completing the course for the first time, please do the following:
- Register for a CITI account
(Affiliate with the Office of the Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (OUSD P&R)).
- On the "Learner’s Menu" click the red "Not Started - Enter" link.
- Complete all required modules and their associated quizzes.
- The minimum "passing" aggregate score for the quizzes has been set by your institution. A running tally is compiled in the Grade Book. If you would like to improve your score on any quiz, you may review the associated module and repeat the quiz.
The Basic Course will require 4-6 hours to complete. You are encouraged to use multiple log-on sessions.
After you complete the course
- After you complete all of the modules and their associated quizzes, click "Go to the Main Menu" at the bottom of the page.
- Click the blue "Print" link at the far right of the screen (another box will open).
- Click "Print Completion Report" in the last box to the right (your print command box should open automatically).
- Print/save a copy of your completion report to keep for your records. Your institution’s administrative office will automatically be notified of your completion of the training.
- All completion reports are available by clicking "Click here to see your previously completed coursework for..."
Questions: Technical issues should be addressed to email@example.com or call (305) 243-7970.