Pre-Proposal and LOIs Development
- Principal Investigators (PI) should follow sponsor requirements for pre-proposals or letters of intent (LOI). Site approval is not required for these documents unless the sponsor requires a budget and budget justification. Pre-proposals and LOIs should be shared with Extramural Research Program (ERP) Grants Specialists for planning purposes.
Proposal and Application Development
A research proposal consists of precise documents that summarize and propose a research project, generally in science at USU. The sponsoring agency typically provides in the funding opportunity announcement the required documents to submit in order to be considered for funding. Below is a list of common requirements:
- Facilities and Resources
- Detailed Budget and Budget Justification
- Specific Aims
A research application consists of the above documents and required VPR forms. ERP Grants Specialists cannot begin reviewing applications for issuance of a site approval until all required documents listed below are received.
- USU Form 3208 Assurance Supplement - Completed and signed
- USUHS FORM 3209 APPLICATION for OFF-SITE INDIRECT COSTS RESEARCH RATE, if applicable
- PI Eligibility Waiver Request, if applicable
- Indirect Cost and USU/HJF Under Recovery Memo, if applicable (under revision)
- Indirect Cost and USU Cost Share Memo, if applicable (under revision)
- Institutional Commitment Letter, if applicable
Application Deadlines and Submission Requirements
- Full applications must be submitted at least 7 business days before the sponsor's deadline. PIs who submit applications less than 7 business days before the sponsor's deadline will not be reviewed and may not be submitted to a sponsor without site approval. ERP Grants Specialists cannot accept a signed 3208 as a placeholder.
- All non-billeted USU federal employees and contractors who would like to serve as PI on a grant proposal/application must request a waiver of PI eligibility. All requests for PI eligibility waivers must be received at least 10 business days before the sponsor's deadline. Requests received less than 10 business days may not be reviewed and approved before the sponsor's deadline.
Application Submission and Review
To facilitate efficient routing of submission documents, the VPR/REA Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) has adapted a fillable USU Sponsored Programs Approval Request Form to alert the Extramural Research Program (ERP) and Intramural Research Program (IRP) Grants Specialists. Submission of this form is required for all initial communication with OSP pertaining to applications, progress reports, reprogramming requests, etc. Once submitted, the appropriate Grants Specialist will contact the form submitter within 2 business days with instructions on how to submit the documents.
- Click here, USU Sponsored Programs Approval Request Form, to access the form.
Research Applications will be accepted through the USU OSP Research Application Submissions (915.01. Research Protocols and Grants, NI-330-98-3) shared secure google drive. Please work with your ERP Grants Specialist or your Department’s Research Administrators to upload the required forms and documents.
List of ERP Grants Specialist and their department portfolio