When applying for Intramural Research Program (IRP) awards, please consider the following requirements and processes below.
Only eligible faculty members can apply for awards provided by the USU IRP. Eligible faculty members are defined as Junior and tenured USU faculty that are categorized as billeted, non-billeted military personnel, and those that received a PI Eligibility Waiver. (See PI Eligibility Policy for more information)
When submitting an application in response to an Intramural Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA), please follow the instructions provided in the announcement. If the PI is not responding to an announcement, please provide the following forms as part of your application in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Forms can be found under Program Forms)
- 3208 - Assurances Supplement
- 3210B - Progress Report (Intramural) (Only submit if the investigator is applying for an award that they’ve already received. E.g.- Professor Smith received a FY2018 Bridge award and decides to apply for a FY2019 Bridge award. Professor Smith must submit a 3210B)
- Intramural Research Project Budget Template
- 3209 - Request for Use of Off-Site Indirect Rate (If the investigator believes they need this form, please contact the Assistant Vice President for Research Administration prior to submission)
Application Submission Process:
The USU Intramural Research Program strongly recommends that applicants adhere to the submission instructions written in the FOA when applying for funds. If you are responding to a FOA and you need assistance with submitting an intramural research proposal to be reviewed by an OSP Specialist, submission of an intramural research proposal for scientific review, or obtaining a PI Eligibility Waiver, please use the USU Project Intake Form.
If a faculty member would like to request funding that is not associated with a FOA, the applicant can submit their application electronically to email@example.com. Applications that are not submitted in response to a FOA will be reviewed on a quarterly basis and undergo scientific review to be considered for funding. Faculty members are strongly encouraged to work with their IRP Grants Specialist and departmental Program Manager when preparing their applications. Please note: If you are not responding to a FOA and you need assistance with submitting an intramural research proposal for administrative review by an OSP Specialist, submission of an intramural research proposal for scientific review, or obtaining a PI Eligibility Waiver, please contact our OSP Grants Specialists, Mrs. Sharon McIver (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mrs. Gale Morgan (email@example.com).
When submitting an application the subject line should include the following information, if applicable:
- Faculty member’s name
- Name of the announcement (if responding to an announcement) or "Request for funding"
- Fiscal Year
In addition to the required forms listed above, your application packet must include the following:
- Technical Abstract
- Research Plan (Sections A-F does not exceed 10 pages)
- Section A. Specific Aims
- Section B. Significance and Military Relevance
- Section C. Background
- Section D. Progress/Preliminary Studies
- Section E. Experimental Design (Include interpretation and pitfalls)
- Section F. References
- Key Personnel (Include each individual’s role and percent effort for project)
- Other Research Support
- Budget Justification (Word document)
Depending on the type of the award, applications will undergo at minimum an administrative review coordinated by the REA Director of the Scientific Peer Review Program. Ordinarily, applications in response to a FOA will undergo a scientific review by scientists that are knowledgeable in the proposed research of interest. This is followed by an administrative review conducted by VPR leadership. After the review process is complete, applicants are provided their critique, given a chance to respond to their critique, and upon final programmatic review, sent award letters.