The Department of Surgery of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences is committed to excellence in Medicine and Public Health during Peace and War. As the nexus of surgical education and research within the Department of Defense, we provide the nation with physicians and surgeons dedicated to career service in the Department of Defense and the United States Public Health Service. We serve the uniformed services and the nation as the preeminent academic center with a worldwide perspective for education, research, and operational support in surgery, disaster medicine, and mass casualty situation, and the logistics of surgical care.
The three critical pillars of our department are education, research and clinical care. We exist to provide the best basic surgical training to medical students who will become Uniformed Services physicians. They are destined to care for those who go in harm's way as well as provide care within the Military Health System. The department has developed a surgical research effort that focuses on combat casualty care, surgical oncology, education based investigations and orthopedic challenges. This effort is translational research from the battlefield to the bedside and benefits the wounded warfighter and civilian counterpart. When coupled with the outstanding clinical care provided by our faculty, the Department of Surgery is among the most dynamic academic surgical departments in the country.
Global Leader in Military Surgical Practice, Education & Research
Department of Surgery Values
- Excellence: We have a passion for excellence and seek opportunities to improve the health of those we are privileged to serve
- Diversity: We embrace diversity in people, thought, experiences and perspectives
- Integrity: We are committed to doing what is right and to develop a culture of safe practices
- Compassion: We are concerned for those in our community and treat them with respect, empathy, and dignity
- Teamwork: We work as an integrated team to improve patient care and outcomes thoughout the Military Health System