TriService Nursing Research Program Mini-Evidence Based Practice Award
Fiscal Year 2021B Funding Announcement
Applications Due January 15, 2021
Provide one-year funds to purchase equipment and supplies in support of nurse-led evidence-based practice (EBP) projects pending available funding.
- The project lead must be a military or civilian nurse assigned to an MTF. Project teams are encouraged to be multidisciplinary (preferred). If the project lead is a civilian nurse, a military nurse is required as a team member.
- The nurse manager(s) of the site where the work will be conducted must support the project.
- The chief nurse/director of nursing at the MTF must support the project.
- The budget should not exceed $10,000 unless approved in advance by the TSNRP Executive Director.
- All requested equipment must be preapproved by the MTF or project site to ensure the equipment meets the technical specifications of the facility.
- TSNRP will purchase the approved equipment and send it to the project site and all equipment must remain at the MTF upon completion of the project.
- The project must be finished in 12 months.
Resources: If you would like a TSNRP EBP virtual consult before starting the application process please contact TSNRP Program Manager, Ms. Christine Leyden, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application and Approval Process:
- A complete application (outlined below) may be submitted to the TSNRP any time before 31 December 2020 via the TSNRP Grants Database.
- It is expected that prior to submission, the application will be reviewed by either a representative from the regional nursing research/clinical inquiry cell that will provide oversight of the project, or the local MTF Evidence Based Practice Council (if applicable). This step provides an important check to ensure the project is feasible and appropriate at the local level.
- The package will be reviewed by the TSNRP Executive Director to determine if the application is appropriate for TSNRP funding.
- If recommended for funding consideration, an unaffiliated EBP expert within the Military Healthcare System will complete a final review for funding recommendation.
- Based on the recommendations of the regional cell and EBP expert, and if TSNRP funds are available, the project supplies will be sent to the local MTF.
- All EBP project funding decisions will be reviewed and approved by the TSNRP Advisory Council and Executive Board of Directors.
Parts of the Application:
- All TSNRP grant applications must be submitted via the TSNRP Grants Management Database after Requesting Access to the TSNRP Grants Management Database. Please go to https://www.tsnrpgrants.com and click Request Access. Please note you must copy the hyperlink or type the full address in: https://www.tsnrpgrants.com:
8443/ords/f?p=100:LOGIN_The database has fields for application questions, budget, team members, evidence table, and timeline. DESKTOP:9282458154279:::::&tz= -5:00
- Description of the project is entered into the database and includes:
- Project Title
- Reason for the Project
- Project Description
- PICO(T) Question
- Link to TSNRP Priorities
- Current Practice
- Search terms used to identify evidence
- Primary outcomes (from literature, include references)
- Baseline data available
- Plan to evaluate success (Patient Outcomes, Cost Savings, or Other Measures)
- Timeline & Dissemination Plan
- An evidence table (with reference list) for the intervention/process change which is entered into the database. The following must be entered into the database evidence table:
- Design Method
- Sample Setting
- Variables Definition
- Outcomes Measured
- A list of project team members who have agreed to participate (including the project lead) describing their role on the project, clinical expertise/background, rank, service branch and EBP experience and training. If the project lead is an active duty member, identify who on the team is willing to assume leadership of the group in the event of a deployment or change of assignment.
- Project budget for equipment (individual items that cost >$5,000) and supplies is entered into the budget fields of the database. List each item in the database budget table along with the cost, quantity, website link for purchase, and reason it is needed for the project. The table will auto-populate the total cost. Funds for travel may be included if well justified and can be accomplished prior to the end of the fiscal year. Travel Funds for dissemination of project findings are not permitted.
- Project timeline is completed in the database over a one year period is displayed in months that includes the key steps in the project and when the project will be completed.
- Letters of support from the following are uploaded into the database:
- Nurse Manager(s) of sites where data or patients will be accessed.
- MTF Chief Nurse/Director of Nursing
- MTF Resource Management Office that they have reviewed and approved the project budget, and indicates requested equipment has been approved by the appropriate departments (ex: IT, Engineering, etc.)
- Other key stakeholders/process owners, as appropriate (ex: Chief of Pharmacy, Medical Director, Education and Training Office, etc.)
- Institutional Review Board Status of the proposed project. The IRB exemption or approval letter must be uploaded into the database prior to the commencement of a TSNRP funded Mini-EBP Award project.
- Project is evidence-based
- Topic aligns with TSNRP priorities
- Evidence of MTF support
- Evidence that funds can be executed prior to the end of the fiscal year
- Likelihood of success
- A 3-month interim update that describes the progress of the project in terms of clinical processes, data collection, budget, and timeline.
- At the conclusion of the project, a summary of the project will be submitted to TSNRP, which will include:
- A structured abstract of 300-500 words which summarizes the project findings. The following headings should be used: background and/or rationale of the project; PICO question; methods; results/findings; discussion; implications for practice, research, policy, management and/or education, (depending on the project); and conclusions.
- A one-page summary of lessons learned from the EBP project, with recommendations for other EBP project teams.
- A bulleted summary in a single PowerPoint slide (“Quad Chart”).
- Reports should be submitted into the TSNRP Grants Database https://www.tsnrpgrants.com
For More Information: