About the Office of Research
The Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR) will facilitate, promote, and encourage excellence and leadership for the research activities of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU) by providing consistent high quality service to each of its three major customers: the faculty, the University, and the research sponsors.
- In support of the USU faculty, we strive to provide friendly, efficient, courteous, and knowledgeable pre- and post-award grants administration services.
- In support of the University,we strive to facilitate and monitor research but also to aid in obtaining required Federal and institutional regulatory compliance approvals necessary for safe and appropriate conduct of research.
- In support of the research sponsors, we will be cognizant of and implement the instructions provided for the continuing administration and stewardship of the project awards issued to USU.
What we do
The Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR) administers grants, Congressionally-directed research programs, and other funding instruments from DoD, other Federal, and non-profit research organizations that support the research activities of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU) faculty, staff, and students. VPR provides the service of monitoring, reviewing, and coordinating approvals for all matters dealing with the research while ensuring compliance with all Federal and USU policies and regulations. Specific responsibilities and services include:
- Identification of funding sources and opportunities
- Pre-award grants administration
- Grant receipt and awards
- Post-award grants administration
- Regulatory compliance
- The Intramural Research Program including the administrative support for the Research Merit Review Committee
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Anatomical Material Research Committee
- Institutional Review Board
- Education on all aspects of the research responsibilities
- Research policy establishment